Thursday, January 17, 2013

What's Your (favorite) Excuse?

Let's reflect:  Goal #1 - Improve Physical Self.


So, I actually went to the gym the other night for a one-hour spin class.  The music pounded, the instructor kept yelling at me to stop turning the knob backwards, and I felt like I was going to throw up on my handlebars the entire time, but I made it to the end.  Despite the fact that my legs were akin to rubber after stepping off the bike, I felt absolutely amazing.  I was so impressed with myself that I returned to the gym today (say what!?).  Not only that, I ran to the gym, lifted weights, and ran back home.  (Ding Ding Ding!!  Green points for not driving!!)

You're probably wondering how I managed to find the motivation to go to the gym two nights in a row.  Well, I have a very supportive boyfriend, and some great friends.  I can honestly say that without these people, I would find it exponentially harder to get my ass out of the house.  I'm really, really good at finding better things to do with my time.  I whip up excuses like nothing.  My personal fave?

- I'll do it extra hard tomorrow.

Then tomorrow comes and I discover that I lied to myself.  The weird part is that I feel so betrayed.  I thought Future-Jen would actually follow through.  But she never does!

So, what's your favorite excuse?  What holds you back when you know you should do something that takes time and energy?

Well, I got sick of finding excuses.  I just feel like shit the next day and get mad at myself.  It's sooo not worth it. Alas, I sought some old fashioned support - in my friends.  If someone else is doing it, it helps motivate me.

Next time you feel lazy or find yourself saying you'll "do it tomorrow", call a friend and ask them to go with you.  Even if you really don't feel like it.  Once you rope them in you'll feel too guilty to back down.  Then you'll witness something amazing.  You'll see yourself doing that thing that you were once too lazy to do.  And when you're done, you'll feel great.  I bet you had a little fun too.  And I'll also bet it'll get easier to keep doing it - even when your friend is busy.

I forgot to mention that my butt is looking a little better, too.  I know it's crazy to see results in only two days, so perhaps it's just a state of mind.  But hell!  I'll take it.  




1 comment:

  1. Your ass looked darn fine to start with...but I'm glad to inspire your athleticism :)

    ReplyDelete