Monday, February 4, 2013

appeal |əˈpēl|


Photo courtesy of www.freebestwallpapers.info


appeal |əˈpēl|

verb [ no obj. ]
1. make a serious or urgent request, typically to the public.
2. be attractive or interesting.

Green.  What does it mean to you?  Do you see color?  A snake?  Apples?  Or, do you see a movement?  Believe it or not, being green is not a new concept.  Back in the 18th century, Thomas Malthus (14 February, 1766 – 29 December, 1834) sounded the alarm with An Essay on the Principle of Population where he basically stated that when the population exhausts the earth's resources it will eventually crash.  Hippies have been around even longer. Transcendentalists such as Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau knew the immense value of our forests and oceans, not only for civilization but for balance.

I started this blog as an appeal to the public of the 21st Century.  So many of us are unknowingly making ourselves sick with the food we eat, the beauty products we buy, and the chemicals we clean our houses with.  Moreover, we're destroying the earth's balance. 

Now, I don't know about you, but when I hear the word "green" I imagine it implies some compromise on our part.  But, I don't think that caring about the planet should mean boring food, greasy hair, and smelly armpits for us.  Nor should it mean spending a lot of money on environmentally conscious products.  I believe that we can become better, more beautiful and healthy versions of ourselves by reducing our impact on the planet - and save money at the same time.

So. I've been busy educating myself by reading books and scientific articles, and watching documentaries all on the subject of health, food, and the environment.  It's been very enlightening to say the least.  I was shocked to discover that my life needed an serious tune-up.  So, I've done just that.  I kind of started all at once.  I began composting and reducing the amount of trash I produce.  I've switched-up all of my beauty products and household cleaning supplies. I've even stopped eating meat and started buying organic produce (my boyfriend is only a little annoyed).

It's definitely a huge undertaking, and honestly, I'm wondering how long it will last.  I'm kind of the queen of half-baked efforts.  But!  I'm hoping that I can stay on track with these changes and prove to you all that going green can be fun and easy with this blog (is the title making sense yet?).  So, stay tuned.  Just because I jumped into the deep end doesn't mean you all have to.  We'll take it nice and easy. 

I'm very fond of food and cooking it, so let's start there!

No comments:

Post a Comment