Tuesday, February 26, 2013

I Bought a Juicer: Dinner Mishap!

It’s a funny thing when the power goes out.  At first you just sit there, wondering what happened.  Then it clicks.  The power is out.  Ah-ha!  Well, what do I do now?  Read? I definitely couldn't juice or blend.  So typical, I was just beginning my three-day juice detox that requires precious electricity to power my blender, juicer, and my refrigerator to keep all those perishables fresh!

Around 3:30 this afternoon everything went silent.  I went to the gym with a friend for two hours and cycled, rowed, elliptical-d(?) and lifted weights .  I came home, starving, and hoping that we would see lights as we drove down into the canyon.  But all was still, and dark.

Once in the cabin I lit every single candle I could find.  They were all pine-scented and made the place smell lovely and helped in heating it some.  There was still hot water left over so I took a quick shower.  Clean and sufficiently hungry I began preparing my dinner detox meal.   Okay, this is the point where my willpower started to crumble.  After a two-hour workout all I wanted to eat was a cheesy pizza slathered in ranch dressing. But no.  I stuck to my guns.  And even though I was unable to make my original dinner shake consisting of the following:
  • 1 cup carrot juice
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 cup spinach
  • 1 tbs lemon juice
  • 1/4 avocado
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp flax seed
I improvised instead.  I couldn't recall the recipe and with no internet I was unable to look it up online.  So I just ended up slicing one mango, two zucchinis, half an apple, five strawberries and ate those with a tablespoon of peanut butter and one cup of almond milk. It was no Domino's but dinner was tasty and satiating.  I'm definitely feeling on the lighter side but I haven't experienced any of the nasty side-effects.  Around 8 PM I had friends over to watch Fantastic Mr. Fox.  It was a good idea to have company.  Not only did I feed them chocolaty bundt cakes so I wouldn’t eat them, but their presence ensured I wouldn’t creep into the kitchen to snack.

Around 10 PM, the movie ended and the power still out, my company hit the road and I was left all alone with my bad habits.  I didn’t sneak into the kitchen, though.  I typed a little in bed then blew out the flames. 

What bad luck.  But I suppose it’s good for us to see what life is like when the lights go out.  People come over, you go to bed early, you eat raw food.  That’s not so bad.  I just hope my refrigerator keeps things cold enough until the power kicks-in.







No comments:

Post a Comment