Sunday, February 24, 2013

Tomatoe Tomahto

I was wandering around the produce section of Trader Joes the other night when I came across a tantalizing box of organic sugar plum tomatoes.  Now, I'm not typically a huge fan of tomatoes but these plump red little orbs were begging to be purchased.  I had no idea what I was going to do with them, all I knew is that I wanted these adorable tomatoes to come home with me.

Of course a few days passed and I forgot all about my impulse-purchase sugar plums.  Today they're firm but starting to exhibit a few squishy spots. I need to find a recipe and fast.  A lot of people would just pop these tots in their mouths but the mucousy innards of tomatoes gross me out.  Hence, the recipe.

I found a simple one that promises to cook the tomatoes so thoroughly that I might be able to eat the entire batch.  You might want to make these on a lazy night where you have a lot of time to hang out around the house.

Oven-roasted Tomatoes


All you need:
  • Sugar plum or Roma tomatoes
  • Olive oil
  • Basil (fresh or dried)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Splash of Balsamic Vinegar
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Slice your tomatoes in half and place in a mixing bowl.  Pour just enough oil to coat tomatoes and a splash of balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and basil.  Mix and place tomatoes skin side down on a baking sheet.  Bake for an hour and a half.

When those are done you can do whatever you like with them.  I made a batch of gluten-free angel hair pasta and topped it off with these sweet treats.  I also suggest putting them on pizza or pairing with sharp cheddar and a glass of red.

Bon appetit!











No comments:

Post a Comment