Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Those Magic Mangos!

The clouds are low and menacing and NOAA is predicting 80% chance of thundershowers all day.  Typical for the rainy season here in California.  We have a string of warm, sunny days followed by a string of cool wet ones. On these chilly, damp mornings I especially like to indulge in certain foods that make me feel like I live somewhere else - somewhere warm where I can hear the ocean and taste the salt in the air...

When I lived in Australia the mango was one of the easiest fruits to come by.  As a matter of fact, Bowen QLD has proclaimed itself the mango capital of Australia!  On our drive home from Cairns we'd pass numerous mango orchards, mango wineries, and people selling them on the side of the road.  We'd buy a box, sit on the beach, slice 'em up and slurp them down.  They were so ripe the juice would run down your chin.

Argh!

Dreaming about them is enough to drive you mad.  So, during my weekly foraging trip I added a few of these gorgeous suckers to my grocery basket.  I must confess that mangos are not in season here in California.  We should always strive to buy local so I have no excuse for my irresponsible actions. I just really miss eating mangos for breakfast! These mangos in particular came from Peru and embarked on a 5000 mile journey just to get here, but I did choose the organic ones (they cost a little more but I think it's worth it to know that I'm not ingesting harmful pesticides).

Not only are mangos capable of magically transporting you to exotic destinations, but they contain tons of essential vitamins (A, C, E, K, B6, alpha and beta carotine, folate, niacin, etc.) and minerals, 12%  of your daily fiber, and of course, that sweet delicious mango juice!  If you're a lazy morning person like me, you'll be happy to know that one fruit does an amazing job of filling up your growling dog of a belly.

Oh, and how'd I get them looking so pretty?  Easy peasy - check out this quick instructional video!

Well, I better get to work.  Enjoy your mango-trips!

Me with the "Bowen Mango" in Bowen, QLD

1 comment: